Thursday, April 28, 2011

A Royal Wedding

“And he saith unto me, Write, Blessed are they which are called unto the marriage supper of the Lamb. And he saith unto me, These are the true sayings of God.” (Revelation 19:9)

The whole world is “a-twitter” over the coming Royal Wedding in England. I think weddings are pretty cool, and as a pastor, I get to do a few of them every year. I always enjoy them because they carry such majesty and splendor. I get to be a part of the happiest day in people’s lives, and there is a sense of “royalty” to every wedding regardless of the social status of the participants. Of course, there is always something that happens to make each one special and unique, from the little kids acting unexpectedly to the adults themselves having some unique moment, often even planned. It is always a memorable day for all involved.

But with this event in England, I feel quite the opposite. There is so much hype and buzz that I don’t want to even hear about it anymore. I am reminded of that great old country tune that goes, “Here’s a quarter, call someone who cares…” (The younger generation has no idea what that really means. The concept of having to put a coin into a phone to get it to work is foreign to their ears.) Then there is all the hype about who is on the guest list and what the seating arrangements will be. An invitation and a prominent place at the festivities is greatly coveted because it puts people on an elevated status and ego trip. Spare me, please. I can promise you that I will not be glued to the television for this event.

I know the Brits love their royalty, but one of the things that bothers me about all this is the sense of entitlement these people have due to their status. I mean, who are they anyway? They are just flesh and blood human beings like anyone else. Why are they any more special than the people who live in the slums of India? They get their status because of how they were born. Prince William is royalty because his father Prince Charles was and because his father was. So what. What did any of them do to deserve such lofty nobility? Not a blasted thing.

Now it sounds like sour grapes and envy, but I have a point to make here. I really don’t care one way or another about the Royal Family in England. They have no bearing on my life in any way, good or bad, and that is fine with me. They can have all their wealth and pomp; I don’t care. I am part of a greater Royal Family because of my Lord and Saviour. I didn’t do anything to deserve such a status because I am just another human being like anyone else. “For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God.” (Romans 3:23) That includes me, the bum on the street, the poor children in the ghettos of the third world, and those born into royalty. Just like Prince William, I did nothing to gain my status as a child of the King of glory. He was born into his position by “royal blood”. I was born again into mine by the precious blood of the Lamb. “But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.” (John 1:12-13).

As a result of my new status as a son of royalty, someday I will be called to the marriage supper of the Lamb. Not only will I be on the “guest list”, I will be part of the Bride: the body of Christ called the church. My reservation is guaranteed because of the one who secured it for me on the cross. If I tried to attend the celebration in England, I would be turned away because I do not have an invitation. I won’t have to worry about being a “wedding crasher” at the feast of the ages in heaven. I have my “ticket”. It is engraved with the gold of the deity of my Lord and Saviour. It was purchased by his blood on the tree of Calvary, and it has been stamped with the approval of the seal of his Spirit. You can have one as well if you trust him as your Saviour. That party will make the one in England pale in insignificance. See you there soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment